We have been busy bees since coming back to school after mid-term! We were in the toyshop this month for Aistear. Fantastic toyshops were built in the construction and small world areas, wonderful toys were designed with playdoh and we enjoyed making jigsaws in the creative area too. We absolutely loved setting up the toyshop in the roleplay area and taking turns using the cash register, shopping as customers and being shop assistants keeping the shelves stocked.
We have been learning about data, number and shapes this month. We collected data about our favourite characters from the story of ‘The Gruffalo’. We all voted by adding a sticker to a chart and it was a draw between the mouse and the gruffalo! We also made bar charts using different coloured bears. In number, we have been working with our numicon shapes, pegs and boards. We have also loved using our cuisenaire rods and trays in our pods.
Believe it or not, we had a nice sunny day a couple of weeks ago! We decided that it might be our last chance to eat outside for a while so we had a little picnic to enjoy the sunshine!
We hope that all of the grandparents enjoyed receiving their cards last weekend! We loved sharing our grandparent’s names, where they live and our favourite things about them with each other.
Some other things we have been learning about this month…
- Literacy: learning and writing new sounds, learning tricky words, daily fine motor activities, making predictions during story time, oral language based on ‘The Toyshop’, free writing, whiteboard dictation activities.
- Gaeilge: Bia agus Caitheamh Aimsire
- SESE: Sequencing the story of ‘The Enormous Turnip’, talking about our grandparents, discussing and drawing different places we can play, experimenting with forces (push/ pull/ squeeze)
- The Arts: Drawing, making prints, loud and soft/ fast and slow sounds, identifying the sounds of different instruments.
- SPHE: Relating to Others- sharing, listening, being a good friend, verbal and non-verbal cues, conflict resolution
- P.E.: Games and Athletics (non-contact)
- Learn Together: Sikhism and Diwali, Grandparents Day, meditative breathing exercises, taking care of our school environment.